My Thoughts

my thoughts on art, and on life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

I'm an artist, recently moved from B.C. Canada to Sonoma County, California. My art revolves mainly around photography/modeling, sculpting, writing, drawing, and making weird, witchy dolls

Saturday, April 29, 2006

News

It's been a while since I've posted here. Some big things have happened to me lately, all for the good (although one of them didn't seem that way at first).

A couple of weeks ago I was let go from my job at Taylors. I'd been feeling great about my progress in the job, going about my work with the satisfied knowledge that I was really settling into the work. I found that I actually enjoyed answering the phone now - transferring calls, taking messages, etc. I'd become knowledgable about where things were in the store, and could lead customers to the correct aisles without having to ask my co workers first. I knew how to answer the customers' questions, I was competent with finding things in the catalogue for them. The customers really liked me, and some even asked for my help specifically. One elderly man even gave me a little gift of a craft he had made.

Then my boss asked me to join her upstairs for "a talk". I knew right away, I was about to be let go. And so it was. My failure to fit in with the group had let to this. I won't go on about it, I'll just say that my co workers did certain things behind my back to saboutage my employment, and my boss took their side over mine (majority rules blah blah blah). I spent a couple of days crying, and sleeping my days away. Then I got up and started the process of looking for another job.

It doesn't matter though, because it's all turned out well. I have a new job! I start monday. My youngest sister is an assistant to a real estate agent in a large company. She knew of another realtor there, who was in need of a new assistant, because the one he has now will be moving away this July. My sister mentioned me to him, I went in for an interview, and here I am - I'm going to be a secretary! Just the job I wanted, and thought I would have to take an expensive course for. I will spend between now and July, working with my new boss' assistant, learning the ropes. By the time she moves away I'll be more than able to do the job on my own. It's a perfect way for me to learn the job! I will be sharing a small office with the realtor (my new boss), each of us with our own desk and computer. Of course, the desk won't be "mine" until July. Until then, the desk will still belong to the assistant who is training me. But in July, the desk will be all mine. I'll have my own computer, my own little wall space for pictures, my own files.... The office where I'll be working is right next door to the office where my sister works with her own realtor. My sister, whom I never got to know until last September when I moved here, and I, will be co workers! There will be just a wall between her desk and mine. Up and down the halls of this building are other realtors with their own assistants, and I will be one of them! It's unbelievable news. I still can hardly believe it!

And ... I've quit smoking. I quit just a couple of days before I lost my job at Taylors. It took all my strength to not run out and buy another pack, during the stress of those first few days after I became unemployed. But I did it. I have a little jar where I put the money I would have spent on cigerettes. Instead of spending the money on smokes, I put it in there as a little savings account, just to remind me of how much I'm saving. Amazing how quickly it adds up! Amazing to think all that money would have gone up in smoke!

Well, I don't feel like writing more. Just wanted to tell my news. For anyone who is wondering why I haven't emailed in so long, no worries, you'll hear from me soon.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ann said...

Congratulations - this is absolutely wonderful. You and this job sound like a perfect fit!

9:18 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marian. I am SO proud of you! It's a huge investment in your health, so keep fighting! You are one gifted writer and I've thoroughly enjoyed your blog!

Wis. mother of your Calif. friend. (Today is my 84th birthday!)

8:12 a.m.  
Blogger ~Tim said...

All 'round great news!

5:57 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you. You really are a very strong person.

8:30 p.m.  
Blogger Colin said...

One door closes and another one opens! Congrats Marian. Hope it works out great!

9:25 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home