My Thoughts

my thoughts on art, and on life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

I'm an artist, recently moved from B.C. Canada to Sonoma County, California. My art revolves mainly around photography/modeling, sculpting, writing, drawing, and making weird, witchy dolls

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Parade

It occured to me that I never described my night in the Christmas parade. At least I don't think I did, and I don't feel like scrolling down through my blog to check, so....

I got involved with the parade because my younger sister and her husband have a Christmas tree farm - this was the first year they were ready to sell trees, and they wanted to advertise by participating in the annual Christmas parade. They trained their dog (part alaskan malamute/part wolf), to pull a wagon with their sign. Along with the sign, they had rigged up a lighted lantern, and tucked in a tape player to play Christmas carols. The dog wore jingling bells on his harness. He was completely calm, and took it all in stride when children ran up to him and wanted to pet him. He was the star of the show.

My sister made white poncho's, red scarves, and green hats with jingle bells on them for herself, her little daughter, and me. Her husband wore a santa hat and led the dog while my sister, niece and I ran up and down the street handing out coupons with the address, and a promise of free hot chocolate if they should come to the farm for a tree.

I had dinner with my sister and her family first, and we all sat around the livingroom coffee table taping candycanes on the coupons. It was very cosy. Then it was time to leave. The dog was encouraged into his wire enclosure in the back of the van, and off we went.

There is something about parades that brings a lump to my throat. The idea that people put so much effort into their displays, then march up the long street wearing costumes and ringing their bells and playing instruments. It's all so innocent and child-like, and all the people lining the curb are so very excited just to see these ordinary people move past them ... what is it that draws people to leave their warm homes so they can watch something like this? In this day and age where we have t.v. and movies and computers, and all these other ways to entertain ourselves indoors out of the weather - here we choose to stand out in the cold and cheer our fellow humans sitting on a float all decked out with homemade stuff, blowing horns and playing violins. The thrill is evident on everyone's face as they catch sight of each display moving slowly in front of them. People bring their children and their grandmothers, set out lawnchairs and squeeze into them all bundled up in winter blankets. You'd think, with all the competition of modern entertainment, parades would have become mundane by now, but no! People show more animation at parades than they ever do when playing computer games, even with all the excitement that these games offer. Somehow, it's a giant thrill to see a marching band made up of middle aged folks, or a big truck festooned with streamers, its horn honking as its occupants lean out the window and wave, or a giant dog pulling a wagon with a sign and a lantern....

The parade was held after dark. I'm told it's the biggest parade in Canada (or is it B.C.?). We arrived at the starting point where all the participants were finding places, at the bottom of the main street, in a gravel area beside the train tracks. We wandered between all the assembled floats, all the participants milling around, waiting for the thing to begin. When we found a good spot where the floats behind and in front of us wouldn't be too noisy and spook the dog, we moved into it. I'd brought my camera, and took a bunch of pictures without my flash. Though it was quite dark, I didn't want to use my flash because I wanted the photographs to come across as surreal, with the velvet darkness and all the bright spotlights and Christmas bulbs.

Finally it was time to begin. The floats began to move forward. I felt a lump in my throat, as I always do at parades. For those moments when we all moved grandly forward, I had tears in my eyes. Then we headed into the street where all the onlookers were waiting, and I had no more time to think about the beauty of being in a parade.

As my brother in law led the dog behind a float with music students playing violin, my sister, niece and I handed out coupons by the dozen. Kids and adults alike called to us. Parents urged their toddlers forward, and older kids crowded around with their mittened hands outstretched. They were so excited just to receive a coupon with a candycane! Everyone was laughing and calling and thanking us. We wished everyone Merry Christmas over and over again as we dug into our bags for more coupons. We'd notice we were falling behind my brother in law, and call to each other to hurry. Then we ran to catch up, laughing, the bells on our hats jingling madly. People cheered loudly every time we ran! I think they thought we were clowns. At one point I grabbed my sister's arm and we danced round and round, laughing like crazy. It was a wonderful experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home