My Thoughts

my thoughts on art, and on life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

I'm an artist, recently moved from B.C. Canada to Sonoma County, California. My art revolves mainly around photography/modeling, sculpting, writing, drawing, and making weird, witchy dolls

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Piano Recitals and Job Interviews

I attended a piano recital last night where my little seven year old niece played a piano piece. She did very well, and even gave a proper curtsie at the finish. There were a few advanced students who played as well. I love to listen to piano music. I love to watch the players' hands and fingers as they move over the keys. I noticed the differences in style. Some held their fingers quite stiffly (though not awkwardly). They had a forceful way of bringing their fingertips in contact with the keys. Others flattened their hands and fingers, pressing the keys with the bottom of their fingers rather than the tips. There was one teenage boy (man) whose fingers flowed so beautifully over the keys they reminded me of water. Very graceful. A group of boys in their mid teens interested me because they had a fairly rough look about them, with long, wild hair and rumpled clothes ... in total contrast to their appearance each of them played a lovely classical song. It was really cool to see. The grand finale was when the teacher's teenage son played two pieces. His talent is genius. He wore a black suit, and took his time in readying himself before he began. His fingers were all over the keys, he employed every octave. His music began very softly, then suddenly he was absolutely pounding the keys. He became immersed in the music as he played, swaying forward and back. His foot thumped on the floor during the louder parts, but this didn't take away from the experience. Instead, for me, this added to it because he was so totally involved.

I noticed that the more advanced students didn't use sheet music. They'd memorised every note, no matter how difficult the song. I need to use sheet music when I play. I find this to be a handicap, because if I happen to come across a piano somewhere and don't have my music, I can't really play. I've decided to work on memorising some of my favourite pieces.

My piano, being so old, is in need of a little t.l.c. It plays perfectly in tune, but there are a few keys that barely sound, no matter how hard I press them. Another key plays a double note, because its neighbour moves along with it, even though it hasn't been pressed. Once I find a job and can afford it, I plan to hire someone to come in and have a look. I lifted the front panel today, to see inside the piano in case there might be something obvious I could fix myself. I ended up just staring at all the hammers and wires inside there. I've looked inside my piano before. It's always fascinating to me, to see the way everything is connected. I decided I'm going to take some photographs of the inside of my piano. I think that's a great idea.

This morning I went to my job interview at Taylor Office Supplies. I arrived before the boss! I wandered around the store, waiting for her to arrive. When she came in, she apologised to me. I felt good about it, because in this way I was able to show that I'm reliable and punctual. The interview went very well, I feel she was impressed with me. I was the first of eight interviews, so I won't know if I've been hired until tomorrow. If I don't receive a phonecall tomorrow, it's bad news and I'll be back to pounding the pavement again. As I left the store after the interview, I saw her approach a young, well dressed man who had been waiting - one of my competitors. I feel good about my chances, but ... the man I saw looked equally capable. I guess we'll see.

As I walked home, it struck me that I've taken a step up, where jobs are concerned. My job at Sears was the pivotal point. Before Sears, I always applied for lower end jobs where the application experience is much different from the better jobs I'm able to apply for now. I still apply for the lower jobs, because I need work, but the list is sprinkled with a few classier places of employment that I would not have attempted before Sears.

I've noticed that the lower end jobs always begin with one of these lame application forms - list your most recent places of employment beginning with the most recent, and your reasons for leaving ... have you ever worked for ----- before, if so, when, and why did you leave ... do you have adequate transportation to and from work, etc. In applying for those, it doesn't really matter if one dresses up, though I always do (and then I feel overdressed and a little silly). The applicant is asked to fill out the form at one of the tables set up for people to eat, or if it's done at the counter, the teller asks that you stand to one side so the paying customers can dump their purchases on the conveyor belt. In contrast, when applying for better jobs, there isn't any silly application form. Instead I offer my resume, and a few days later, I'm (hopefully) asked in for a formal interview. I'm expected to dress in a buisness-like way, and to carry myself with maturity and poise. I like this style. I feel as though I've accomplished something, even when I don't get the job. I find it's good for my self esteem.

Well ... it's Valentine's Day, so I think I'll make a boston creme pie or something.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Marian,
Its good to see you writing again. I enjoy your blog. You are very encouraging to me as I see you solve your daily problems. You have a good outlook on life and I know you will go far. You are climbing a high mountain. One step at a time. You are very ingenous in adapting to your surroundings and situations. Much good luck to you. You are going up, up, up.
Lyd

8:23 p.m.  
Blogger Ann said...

Wow - a recital at SEVEN! Big congrats to your niece!
And good luck with the job!

5:37 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home